NEW YORK (The Deal) -- Dollar General (DG) said Tuesday that it has raised its bid for Family Dollar Stores (FDO) to $80 per share and is threatening to take its latest offer straight to shareholders if Family Dollar refuses to engage in active deal talks.
TheStreet's Brittany Umar has details on Dollar General's latest bid for Family Dollar:
Dollar General's revised bid is valued at around $9.1 billion, up from its last $78.50 per share offer, and far surpassing Dollar Tree (DLTR) 's $74.50 per share bid."In the event you refuse to engage with us regarding our revised proposal, we will consider taking our persuasive and superior proposal directly to your shareholders," Dollar General chairman and CEO Rick Dreiling said in a statement. Dollar General is addressing some of Family Dollar's antitrust concerns by agreeing to divest up to 1,500 stores and noted it will pay a $500 million reverse breakup fee if the proposed deal does not meet regulatory standards. The company originally said it would be willing to divest up to 700 stores, if needed. Chesapeake, Va.-based Dollar Tree is entitled to a $305 million termination fee if Dollar General succeeds with its offer. Family Dollar chairman and CEO Howard Levine said that Dollar General's original proposal did not do much to address key Federal Trade Commission issues, even though Dollar Tree said it would only divest 500 stores, if required. Dollar General, of Goodlettsville, Tenn., and Charlotte, N.C.-based Family Dollar would have more than 20,000 stores if combined.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV