NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Here are 10 things you should know for Wednesday, Sept. 3:
1. -- U.S. stock futures rose and European stocks gained after a potential cease-fire was announced in eastern Ukraine.
Asian stocks finished Wednesday's session mostly higher. Japan's Nikkei 225 index rose 0.4%.
2. -- The economic calendar in the U.S. on Wednesday includes factory orders for July at 10 a.m. EDT and the Federal Reserve's "Beige Book" for September at 2 p.m.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average
CVS Caremark will now be known as CVS Health. The signs on its roughly 7,700 drugstores won't change, so the name change may not register with shoppers.
CVS said earlier this year that it would stop selling tobacco products on Oct. 1. But CEO Larry Merlo said CVS moved up its quit date nearly a month because CVS got ready for the move sooner than it anticipated, not because its distribution centers had already run out of tobacco.
5. -- Automakers such as General Motors (GM) and Ford (F) are expected to release sales for August throughout the day. Car sales for August are expected to be flat compared with the same month a year earlier, partially because August will have 27 sales days this year, compared with 28 sales days in 2013.
6. -- Home Depot (HD) , the nation's No. 1 home improvement retailer, said it's working with both banks and law enforcement to investigate "unusual activity" that would point to major credit card data breach.
A spokeswoman for Atlanta-based Home Depot said the company is " aggressively gathering facts at this point while working to protect customers." She said the retailer would notify customers immediately if it confirms a breach. Read More: Apple's Next iPhone: What We Think We Know
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts