NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The9 (NCTY - Get Report) was gaining 35.8% to $3.49 on Friday after announcing that a joint venture with Qihoo 360 (QIHU - Get Report) obtained the publishing and operating license for the free-to-play MMO Firefall in China.
The joint venture System Link obtained the license to publish and run Firefall in the country for five years. System Link will pay The9 subsidiary Red 5 Singapore $160 million under the license agreement.
Must Read: 50 Stocks Hedge Funds Love
- THE9 LTD -ADR's earnings per share declined by 16.4% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, THE9 LTD -ADR reported poor results of -$3.76 versus -$3.37 in the prior year.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Software industry average. The net income has decreased by 11.5% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from -$19.16 million to -$21.37 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Software industry and the overall market, THE9 LTD -ADR's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for THE9 LTD -ADR is currently extremely low, coming in at 11.23%. Despite the low profit margin, it has increased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, NCTY's net profit margin of -496.76% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- Reflecting the weaknesses we have cited, including the decline in the company's earnings per share, NCTY has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 15.76% from its price level of one year ago. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: NCTY Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts