I am looking for another quiet Friday as we move into the long weekend.
Read More: 10 Stocks Carl Icahn Loves in 2014
We don't want to see really strong moves on a daily basis, since that tells me we are nearing an end to the market's strength. Rather, I like a nice two-steps-forward, one-step-back move -- which we are seeing.While the S&P 500 SPDR ETF (SPY) is breaking its steep uptrend line, we are now seeing it put in a small bull flag that should only last one more day. A price of $199.50 would be ideal for the ETF to hold on the lower end Friday. I know there were many traders who were shaken out earlier today as the S&P 500 ETF moved under $200, but that is what markets do. And the markets' job is to take along as few people as possible for the ride. Read More: Chipotle's Monty Moran Unwraps the Restaurant's Success Story The most important price of the day is the closing price. Same with the most important price of the week and month. If you can at all ignore the noise of the day, unless it is largely bearish on heavy volume, and just focus on the closing price, it will do you much better. At the time of publication, the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @iTraderz This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV