NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Syngenta (SYT) are down -0.36% to $72.33 after it was reported that the agribusiness company may be ready for a deal, with or without Monsanto (MON) , Bloomberg reports.
Syngenta and Monsanto held preliminary talks with advisers earlier this year about a combination that didn't happen, sources have said.
That signals the company is open to a deal, whether as an acquirer or as a target, according to shareholder Wintergreen Advisers LLC.
Must Read: 50 Stocks Hedge Funds Love
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. With shares down 9.5% in the last 12 months and slowing revenue growth, Berenberg Bank said an acquisition could help the crop chemicals company improve its prospects, Bloomberg noted. One possibility for $34 billion Syngenta is a takeover of Dow Chemical's (DOW) agricultural business, said Alembic Global Advisors and SunTrust Banks. SYT data by YCharts EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he and Stephanie Link think could be potentially HUGE winners. Click here to see the holdings for FREE
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV