TORONTO, Aug. 28, 2014 /CNW/ - A diagnosis of cancer brings time into sharp focus, and today MasterCard Canada announced it is becoming one of the first corporate sponsors of Stand Up To Cancer Canada (SU2C Canada). The US-based initiative Stand Up To Cancer (SU2C) was first created by the Entertainment Industry Foundation in 2008. SU2C Canada, a program of the Canadian registered charity EIF Canada, joins SU2C in working to expedite cancer therapies from laboratories to patients, aiming to make all cancer patients cancer survivors.
"Millions of Canadians have been affected by cancer or have witnessed its devastating effects on family members or friends," said Betty DeVita, President, MasterCard Canada. "Eradicating this disease and creating a future free of cancer is possible, and with access to extraordinary cancer innovation and research in Canada and around the globe, Stand Up To Cancer dream teams are getting closer to making that possibility a reality."
MasterCard Canada will donate up to $250,000 in support of SU2C Canada's cancer research and education efforts through a campaign that kicked off on August 1 st and runs through September 15 th:
- Between August 1 st and September 15 th, MasterCard will make a $10 donation to SU2C Canada whenever Canadians use their MasterPass digital wallet to make a purchase at any one of thousands of participating retailers including eLUXE, Beyond The Rack, Porter Airlines, Grocery Gateway and more. Canadians not yet signed up for MasterPass can get the wallet here, and will be able to shop securely with just a few clicks on their computer, tablet or smartphone.
- Today, August 28 th, Torontonians are asked to literally stand up for loved ones affected by cancer at Garden Court, Brookfield Place in Toronto. MasterCard will make a $5 donation for each participant who publicly stands up to cancer having their photo taken with an "I Stand Up For" placard on which they've written their loved one's name. Those unable to join the Toronto event can tweet a photo of themselves standing up to cancer with #WeSU2C. Each tweet will generate a $5 donation from MasterCard.
"The generosity of celebrities involved in the telecasts, donations we receive from people all over the world, and our collaborators all provide us critical funding to contribute to advancing cancer research," said Lisa Paulsen, Board Member of EIF Canada. "We are thrilled to see MasterCard help bring SU2C Canada to life with their generous support and excited to bring our efforts to fund innovative cancer research in Canada."Funds raised by SU2C Canada will be directed toward the creation of collaborative research teams, as well as education and awareness programs conducted in Canada. SU2C Canada builds broad support for cancer prevention and groundbreaking "translational" research, accelerating the pace at which new therapies get to patients, and bringing together scientists from different disciplines and institutions to collaborate on Dream Teams. About MasterCardMasterCard (NYSE: MA), www.mastercard.com, is a technology company in the global payments industry. We operate the world's fastest payments processing network, connecting consumers, financial institutions, merchants, governments and businesses in more than 210 countries and territories. MasterCard's products and solutions make everyday commerce activities – such as shopping, traveling, running a business and managing finances – easier, more secure and more efficient for everyone. Follow us on Twitter @MasterCardCAnws, join the discussion on the Cashless Pioneers Blog and subscribe for the latest news on the Engagement Bureau. About EIF Canada / Stand Up To Cancer Canada EIF Canada, a Canadian registered charity (Reg. # 80550 6730 RR0001), founded by the U.S.-based Entertainment Industry Foundation, was established to conduct charitable programs in Canada addressing health and other issues. Stand Up To Cancer Canada (SU2C Canada) is a program of EIF Canada that raises funds to support collaborative research teams, as well as education and awareness programs conducted in Canada. SOURCE MasterCard Canada
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV