NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Here are 10 things you should know for Friday, Aug. 29:
1. -- U.S. stock futures were higher Friday ahead of data on personal spending and consumer confidence.
European stocks rose as traders bet on renewed economic stimulus from the European Central Bank in the coming weeks following weaker eurozone data.
Asian shares finished mixed on Friday.
2. -- The economic calendar in the U.S. on Friday includes personal income and personal spending for July at 8:30 a.m. EDT, Chicago PMI for August at 9:45 a.m., and the University of Michigan's final sentiment index for August at 9:55 a.m.
WATCH: More market update videos on TheStreet TV
The Dow Jones Industrial Average
Google's program announced Thursday escalates the search giant's technological arms race with rival Amazon.com (AMZN) , which also is experimenting with self-flying drones for package delivery.
The company said it expects it to take several more years before its fleet of drones is fully operational. 5. -- Apple (AAPL) is working with Dutch chipmaker NXP to add secure short-range wireless technology into the next iPhone, enabling new pay-by-touch capabilities, the Financial Times reported.
Several people familiar with Apple's plans told the newspaper that NXP will provide the secure near-field communications chips that will allow an iPhone to connect with payment terminals or ticketing systems, as well as opening up the possibility for other applications in the "Internet of things."
Apple announced Thursday a product launch event for Sept. 9 when it's expected to unveil new iPhones.6. -- Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) plans to seek a buyer for Cordis, its business that makes medical devices including stents and catheters, The Wall Street Journal reported, citing said people familiar with the matter The sales process for Cordis is at an early stage, the people said. The business, which could fetch between $1.5 billion and $2 billion, is expected to attract interest from private-equity firms and other health care companies, one of the people told the Journal. Read More: It's No Coincidence -- Stocks and Car Sales Are Both Frothy
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV