NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- After flitting in and out of positive territory throughout Wednesday's entire trading session, the S&P 500
Watch the video below to see how U.S. markets ended the trading day Wednesday:
The Dow Jones Industrial Average
Read More: 10 Most Comfortable Cars Under $30,000
Historical market statistics suggest a general trend higher after major psychological and technical breakthroughs are achieved. Chad Gassaway, an equities trader at Grace Trading, recently posted his study showing that the S&P 500 was, on average, positive almost 79% of the time two weeks after its first close above a big round number, 89% of the time three months after, and 82% of the time one year later.
With the S&P also just coming off a 4% pullback, Raymond James' chief investment strategist Jeffrey Saut added that the average gain following at least a 4% pullback since the last 10% correction in 2012 has been 12.13%. As of Tuesday's high, the market has rallied only about 5%. "We may still have some room to run if history decides to rhyme this time," said Saut. Companies grabbing the headlines Wednesday include Tiffany (TIF) and Express (EXPR) following their solid earnings results. Tiffany popped 0.97% to $101.75 after the luxury jewelry retailer posted better-than-expected second-quarter earnings of 96 cents and raised its full-year earnings outlook to $4.20 to $4.30 a share. Express surged 12.75% to $16.45 after beating earnings expectations and hiking its full-year outlook to between 85 cents and 95 cents a share.
Elizabeth Arden (RDEN) jumped 2.95% to $17.79 after the beauty products company said it plans to review a tender offer from affiliates of Rhone Capital.
In commodities trades, the United States Oil Fund LP ETF (USO) fell 0.03% to $35.03. The SPDR Gold Trust ETF (GLD) fell 0.02% to $123.33. Read More: Aug. 27 Premarket Briefing: 10 Things You Should Know --By Andrea Tse in New York Follow @AndreaTTse
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV