NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Earlier this week, I wrote a piece on the record level mergers and acquisitions activity we're seeing in the biotech space this year. That activity creates tremendous opportunities to participate in beaten-down stocks that can be bought for huge premiums.
And there is another beaten-down sector where M&A activity is heating up. It's retail.
This week, two activist hedge funds with a stake in Ann Taylor (ANN) argued the company should be sold. They stated the stock should be worth $50 to $55 on a buyout. That would be a 20% to 30% premium to where the shares trade today.Last month, Sycamore Partners, the billion dollar private equity-hedge fund firm, said they initiated a nearly 10% stake in Express (EXPR) . They wrote a letter to the company indicating that they had interest in acquiring the entire company. Public-to-private takeouts typically come with a nice 20% to 40% premium in share values to get shareholders on board. And then there's Chico's (FAS) , another retail apparel company. They said they were exploring a sale of their company, potentially teaming up with a private equity firm to take their company private. This news sent the stock up almost 10% in one day. Read More: 10 Stocks George Soros Is Buying
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV