Also shown is the uptrend that connects the low of 666.79 set in March 2009 goes through the low of 1074.77 set in October 2011. At the end of 2014 this trend is at 1584.26.
Note that the high in October 2007 was 1576.09. The all-time intraday high at 2005.04 set on Tuesday is 27% above the 2007 cycle high. The S&P 500 is up 200% from its March 2009 low. These statistics are another reason to book profits.
Courtesy of MetaStock XenithThe monthly chart for the S&P 500 is positive but overbought with its five-month modified moving average at 1891.70 and its 120-month simple moving average at 1327.18, last tested 1165.17 in October 2011. An important observation from this graph is to compare the strength since October 2011 to the Crash of 1987. That painful volatility can barely be seen at the lower left corner of the graph. The S&P 500 has not had a 10% correction for a long time. This is another reason for caution. In my opinion a correction of 10% will not happen as my annual value level is 1539.1 which is downside of 23%. One way to trade the S&P 500 is the SPDR S&P 500 ETF (SPY) ($200.33). Read More: 10 Stocks George Soros Is Buying If you are a buyer on weakness consider doing so on weakness to semiannual and annual value levels at $178.73 and $153.89, respectively. If you are looking to book profits on additional strength consider selling on strength to my quarterly and semiannual risky levels are $204.92 and $207.51, respectively. At the time of publication the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @Suttmeier This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV