(NASDAQ:AMZN)—Amazon.com today announced a new scholarship for college students in the U.S.—the Amazon Student Scholarship. The merit-based scholarship will reward 50 full-time undergraduate students with $5,000 toward tuition and $500 to spend on textbooks at Amazon.com. Applications are being accepted now, with the scholarship money distributed in time for fall semester 2015. Interested students can learn more at www.amazon.com/studentscholarship.
“Four years ago we launched Amazon Student to help students save money on everything they need for school—from textbooks to laundry detergent,” said Ripley MacDonald, Director of Student Programs at Amazon. “We continue to add value to this program, and are excited to launch the Amazon Student Scholarship today, which will reward students who demonstrate extraordinary ability in leadership and innovative thinking.”
The scholarship is open to Amazon Student members who are U.S. undergraduates enrolled full-time at an accredited, nonprofit two- or four-year school. The application period is open August 25 through November 20. Finalists will be selected based on GPA, community involvement, and leadership experience, and then invited to complete an essay to advance to the final round. Winners will be notified in April 2015 and the scholarship awarded in July 2015.
About Amazon StudentAmazon Student gives college students Free Two-Day Shipping on millions of items, and special offers and promotions created just for students as part of the six month free trial. After that it’s just $49 a year—half the price of a regular Amazon Prime membership—and includes unlimited streaming of movies and TV shows with Prime Instant Video, over a million songs with Prime Music, and access to the Kindle Owners’ Lending Library. To learn more, visit www.amazon.com/joinstudent. Millions of Amazon Student members are already taking advantage of the great benefits:
- A few of Amazon Student members’ favorite back-to-school products this year are the SanDisk Ultra 32GB MicroSDHC Memory Card, Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Powder, and Cards Against Humanity.
- The most popular Prime Music song among Amazon Student members right now is “All of Me” by John Legend.
- The most-watched movie by Amazon Student members on Prime Instant Video right now is The Woman in Black.
- The most popular textbook of all time ordered by Amazon Student members is the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, 6th Edition.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV