Stock Market Today: Equities Poised to Extend Record Gains
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Stock futures were ticking higher Wednesday after the S&P 500 closed above the 2000-point milestone for the first time on Tuesday.
Dow Jones Industrial Average futures were up 16 points, or 29.30 points above fair value, to 17,113. S&P futures were up 1 point, or 2.13 points above fair value, to 1,999.5. Nasdaq futures were up 2.5 points, or 4.13 points above fair value, to 4,074.8.
The markets continued to take out their old highs Tuesday after the S&P 500 crossed 2,000 on Monday. Confidence remained from reassurances last week by Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen and European Central Bank President Mario Draghi that ultra-low interest rates will remain intact. Headlines on mergers and acquisitions also bolstered sentiment.
Companies grabbing the headlines Wednesday include Tiffany (TIF) . The stock popped 3.21% to $104 in premarket trading after the luxury jewelry retailer posted better-than-expected second-quarter earnings of 96 cents and raised its full-year earnings outlook to $4.20 to $4.30 a share.Watch the video below to see if Dunkin' Brands could become the next deal target:
WATCH: More market update videos on TheStreet TV Allergan (AGN) , which is fighting off a $49 billion hostile bid from Valeant Pharmaceuticals (VRX) and Pershing Square Capital Management, said it scheduled a special shareholders meeting for Dec. 18, when Pershing Square's Bill Ackman and other shareholders will get the chance to oust the board of the Botox maker.) Shares of Orbitz Worldwide (OWW) fell 4.6% on Tuesday after American Airlines (AAL) announced it would withdraw its fares from the service. Read More: Stock Market Today: S&P 500 Closes Above 2,000 for the First Time --By Andrea Tse in New York Follow @AndreaTTse
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV