NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of VMware Inc. (VMW - Get Report) are lower by -3.50% to $97.25 on heavy volume in mid-afternoon trading on Tuesday, after the company announced it would stop providing long term guidance, MarketWatch reports.
The company, which provides virtualized cloud infrastructure solutions, made the announcement at the VMware analyst day during the VMworld conference in San Francisco.
The company will no longer offer long term guidance as it is focusing investors' attention on aggregate top and bottom line success and execution against stated objectives, said a UBS
(UBS) analyst in a note to clients, MarketWatch added.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
- VMW's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 11.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 17.2%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- VMW's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.21 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. To add to this, VMW has a quick ratio of 2.14, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, regardless of the company's weak earnings results. Looking ahead, unless broad bear market conditions prevail, we still see more upside potential for this stock, despite the fact that it has already risen over the past year.
- VMWARE INC's earnings per share declined by 33.3% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, VMWARE INC increased its bottom line by earning $2.34 versus $1.71 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.51 versus $2.34).
- The gross profit margin for VMWARE INC is currently very high, coming in at 90.60%. Regardless of VMW's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 11.46% trails the industry average.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: VMW Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts