NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Time Warner (TWX) , which successfully fended off a hostile takeover attempt by 21st Century Fox FOXA, is learning that independence can be a lonely road. Especially for those who just lost their jobs.
The owner of HBO and CNN plans to offer buyouts to 500 to 600 employees at its Turner cable division in a move aimed at restructuring its operations, i.e., making it smaller. The unit, which includes cable news network CNN, has been suffering lower ratings and higher programming costs. Turner currently employs 14,000 across its networks which, in addition to CNN, includes TNT, Cartoon Network and HLN.
In an employee memo, and first reported by The Wrap, Turner CEO John Martin wrote, "Division leaders now are reviewing the working groups' reports on their respective areas of oversight... Over the coming weeks, they will work with me to finalize the organizational changes we will implement."Read More: Warren Buffett's Latest Whopper of a Yield Deal Should buyouts not be taken voluntarily, layoffs will follow with the bulk focused on HLN and CNN. The latter property was recently valued at $5 billion after 21st Century Fox (FOXA) assessed its sale to avoid antitrust issues in bid for Time Warner. Its bid was later withdrawn. A spokesperson for Time Warner declined to comment on the report. --Written by Keris Alison Lahiff in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV