Despite all the hype, and a very clever commercial starring Ricky Gervais, it was broadcast TV (Modern Family) and Cable (Breaking Bad) which picked-up the big prizes.
Netflix actually won seven Creative Arts awards which had been announced a week in advance but none in the highest-profile categories such as "Best Show" or "Best Actor/Actress." Last year, Netflix took home three awards including a "Best Director" Emmy for David Finch from House of Cards. Broadband-only shows have been eligible for Primetime Emmys since 2008.
Read More: How Netflix Will Be the Next TV Network
Netflix stock was off 0.66% to $477.75 in premarket trading in New York.Recently Netflix, and its exclusive programming, has been on a roll. Research firm Sandvine noted Netflix accounted for 34.2% of downstream traffic during peak traffic time, up from 31.6% in the second half of of 2013. According to the latest figures from Statista, the online subscription Internet television provider boasted that its streaming subscription revenue had beaten Time Warner's (TWC) HBO's subscription revenue for the first time. Between April and June, Netflix generated $1.146 billion from streaming subscriptions, while HBO made $1.141 billion. Overall though, taking other revenue sources into account, HBO reported a profit of $548 million compared to Netflix's $71 million in the last quarter. Read More: 8 Stocks George Soros Is Buying in 2014
-- Written by Gary Krakow in New York.
To submit a news tip, send an email to email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV