OptionMonster's tracking systems show that the action began early in Ciena, which eventually saw more than 8,000 October 23 calls trade in a strong buying pattern for 40 cents to 62 cents by the end of the session. The volume was far above the strike's previous open interest of 1,687, indicating that new positions were established.
Then in the afternoon, more than 6,000 October 23 calls in Finisar were purchased for 50 cents to 60 cents against previous open interest of just 112 contracts, following bullish action in the September 20 calls last week. A few minutes later, about 5,500 October 30 calls were bought in JDS Uniphase for 18 cents to 23 cents, dwarfing open interest of a mere 11 contracts in that strike.
These long calls lock in the price where the stocks can be purchased through mid-October no matter how far they might climb. They could be sold earlier at a profit if premiums rise with a rally before then, providing potentially significant leverage, but the contracts will expire worthless if shares pull back.CIEN gained 4.06% to $20.74 on Tuesday, ahead of its next earnings report on Sept. 4. FNSR rose 3.07% to close at $20.67, while JDSU was up 2.62% to $11.94. Total option volume was well above average in the three names, and all showed highly bullish call/put ratios. Ciena calls eclipsed puts by 5 to 1; Finisar calls outnumbered puts by 20 to 1; and JDS Uniphase calls outpaced puts by 22 to 1. Yamamoto has no positions in CIEN, FNSR, or JDSU.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV