Shares of the rare earth and metal company were falling -7.14% to $1.75 in late afternoon trading.
About 7.56 million shares of Molycorp were traded by 3:47 p.m., compared to the average trading volume of 5.58 million shares a day.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and greatly underperformed compared to the Metals & Mining industry average. The net income has decreased by 17.9% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from -$71.18 million to -$83.90 million.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$72.46 million or 93.68% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- The gross profit margin for MOLYCORP INC is currently extremely low, coming in at 3.00%. Regardless of MCP's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, MCP's net profit margin of -71.76% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- The debt-to-equity ratio of 1.17 is relatively high when compared with the industry average, suggesting a need for better debt level management. Regardless of the company's weak debt-to-equity ratio, MCP has managed to keep a strong quick ratio of 1.58, which demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- MCP's stock share price has done very poorly compared to where it was a year ago: Despite any rallies, the net result is that it is down by 68.09%, which is also worse that the performance of the S&P 500 Index. Investors have so far failed to pay much attention to the earnings improvements the company has managed to achieve over the last quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: MCP Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV