The stock began to rise following a report by the New York Post suggesting AT&T (T) has come to terms with the federal government, and is now on its way to purchasing the satellite TV supplier.
So far, 4.58 million shares of DirecTV exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 3.18 million shares.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
Stocks TO Buy: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn More.
AT&T has reportedly worked out its plan for purchasing DirecTV with the Department of Justice, sources told the Post, but terms and conditions of the agreement have not been released.
Since AT&T and the DOJ were able to come to an agreement, the Post reports the merger will likely be cleared by the DOJ in October.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 34.74% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 47.41% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock despite its gains in the past year.
- DIRECTV has improved earnings per share by 34.7% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, DIRECTV increased its bottom line by earning $5.19 versus $4.61 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($5.92 versus $5.19).
- 48.46% is the gross profit margin for DIRECTV which we consider to be strong. Regardless of DTV's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 9.93% trails the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has remained constant at $1,474.00 million with no significant change when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite stable cash flow, DIRECTV's cash flow growth rate is still lower than the industry average growth rate of 13.29%.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: DTV Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV