1. Breakfast is hot, hot, hot
A merger of Burger King and Tim Hortons is likely to produce innovative additions to both menus. We could see an offering of chicken-and-doughnuts at Tim Hortons, or a Canadian Maple doughnut-inspired shake at Burger King. It's been done before at other co-owned brands.
The move to merge appears to be borne of the need to boost the overall quality of the restaurants' offerings to better compete with fast-casual outlets like Chipotle (CMG) , Panera Bread (PNRA) and Smashburger, among others. McDonald's and Wendy's (WEN) are under pressure to do the same.Burger King's focus here is on breakfast. In its long rivalry with McDonald's, which has had a solid offering in the breakfast space for years, Burger King is anxious to carve out more morning customers.
Yum! Brands (YUM) Taco Bell launched its line of breakfast in March, which included the Waffle Taco, A.M. Crunchwrap and Breakfast Burrito. And while Burger King has also had a breakfast offering, it needs to do more, says Sam Oches, managing editor of QSR Magazine, a trade publication based in Chapel Hill, N.C.
"These brands have been in the breakfast space forever but have not had anything innovative," Oches said in a phone interview. "In the last five to 10 years as you see lunch and dinner menus [move to] more premium fast casual [ideas] breakfast lagged behind." Brands have realized the importance in winning customers earlier in the day, getting them accustomed to returning to the same outlet, Oches says. Breakfast is "a huge opportunity for growth" and Burger King is "struggling right now to create brand excitement," he adds. "A lot of Burger King menu moves sort of come in the shadow of McDonald's. By adding Tim Hortons to the fold Burger King has a lot of potential to get into breakfast in a big way."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV