The surprise box office hit has generated $251.8 million in North America over its four-week run, toppling Transformers: Age of Extinction (produced by Paramount Pictures, a Viacom-run (VIAB) studio) which earned $243.8 million domestically. Fellow Disney film Maleficent is firmly in third place with a $237.58 million domestic haul.
This year's season has been weak for what is commonly the period when studios release their tent-pole films, big-budget bets which generally far exceed their production budget in gross box office. Over the 2014 season, releases generated total domestic gross of $3.63 billion, 25.2% lower than a year earlier. No film this season was able to exceed the $300 million mark domestically, unlike in previous years, when at least one film surpassed the $300 million threshold.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV