The new compression shirt features silver thread sensors knitted into the fabric, which will be able to read biological and physiological information for instant analysis.
Several ball boys will be wearing the smartshirts during select matches at the National Tennis Center in Flushing, NY. In addition, Marcos Giron, the No. 1 singles player in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association, playing in his first Grand Slam, will also wear the shirt during practice to track his biometrics, and then make real time adjustments to his play.
Read More: 8 Stocks George Soros Is Buying in 2014Shares in Ralph Lauren were advancing 0.34% to $170.35 in early morning trading in New York. Researchers from CCS Insight believe the wearables business is just in its infancy. The company's latest survey estimates 22 million such devices will ship this year, ultimately growing to 135 million units by 2018 with smartwatches accounting for almost 90% of the total sales. The new Ralph Lauren interactive wear shirt was developed using proprietary technology from Canadian-based OMsignal, whose experts includes neuroscientists, sports medicine and engineering researchers. The shirt itself is the sensor and the system is designed to send the physiological data directly to a special application on a user's smartphone. The data is stored by a black box, and transmitted into the cloud, where it is run through algorithms to determine a wearer's heartbeat, respiration, stress level and energy output. Ralph Lauren is reportedly considering building the same new technology into a number of other items including dress shirts with sensors weaved inside. Read More: How WhatsApp Will Help Make Facebook Money -- Written by Gary Krakow in New York. To submit a news tip, send an email to email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV