Roche finally responded by announcing it had picked off InterMune (ITMN) , a company that specializes in drugs to treat fatal lung disease. The all-cash deal valued at $8.3 billion is the latest in a string of drug M&A activity as companies look to strengthen and, in some cases, diversify their current offerings.
Roche stock closed Friday at $36.32, down 0.33%. Shares have gained 6% on the year to date, almost half of the health care sector's 11% gain, according to Morningstar.
Roche's stock has grossly underperformed rivals like AstraZeneca (AZN) and Novartis (NVS) , which have posted gains of 39% and 12%, respectively. Even Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) has rewarded investors with close to 15% returns.Read More: Warren Buffett’s Top 10 Dividend Stocks For Roche, whose shares have traded sideways since February, investors have wondered if there was any value left. Despite the relative underperformance in the shares, the stock was still expensive at a price-to-earnings ratio of 20. Making matters worse, until Sunday, management had done little to differentiate the company from the likes of, say, GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) , a company investors can buy at a much cheaper multiple of 13. And Glaxo pays a 5.3% yield compared to no dividend for Roche. This deal for InterMune, however, changes the landscape. In InterMune, Roche saw an opportunity it couldn't pass up, even at a 38% premium to InterMune's most recent closing price. It's not a cheap deal. What I think is more important to consider, though, is the value InterMune will bring -- whether on its own strengths or as a value-add to Roche's reparatory assets in Xolair (used to treat asthma) and Pulmozyme (used to treat cystic fibrosis).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV