A breakdown in crude oil will send prices to the $70 or $75 per barrel range, and that will hammer the Canadian dollar also. I can see $1 in U.S. currency being equivalent to $1.20 Canadian in a year.
On Gold and Oil
The U.S. dollar has been rising partly due to the euro falling. This strong dollar will put a downward pressure on commodities overall.
Gold and oil have not been that exciting for investors since 2011, when they topped out, but both are setting up for massive moves that should last months, if not a year or more. Once these new trends emerge expect to see them in the headline news every hour.It does not matter which way these commodities break out of the consolidation patterns. With the dollar continuing to rise and the bearish chart patterns for both gold and oil, there is a good chance that much lower prices are ahead. This will catch most investors off guard. It's human nature to try to predict tops and bottoms in the market. But this is why most investors get caught on the wrong side of the market. The market always has a way of catching the majority of people on the wrong side of a position. Read More: Brazen Bullishness; ECB Is Behind the Curve: Best of Kass I am happily sitting in cash with some of my investment capital waiting for gold and oil to break out of these large patterns. I would not be surprised if we see $900 gold, gold stocks like the NYSE Arca Gold Bugs Index (HUI) to be at $150, and $70 per barrel for crude oil. I am not saying this is what I want, but you should be mentally prepared so you can get back into a cash position and take advantage of falling prices with me. Big money will be made on the next price movements in these commodities -- whether we have to go long in the market or short-sell. Either way, we can make money. So don't be a hero and try to pick a top or bottom, just wait for confirmed breakout, then invest with the trend. Would you like my trade alerts? Want my S&P 500 trades executed for you in your brokerage account ? At the time of publication, the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
TheStreet Ratings team rates RANDGOLD RESOURCES LTD as a Hold with a ratings score of C+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate RANDGOLD RESOURCES LTD (GOLD) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed ? some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the company's return on equity has been disappointing."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 4.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 27.9%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- GOLD's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.02 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.10, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- The stock price has risen over the past year, but, despite its earnings growth and some other positive factors, it has underperformed the S&P 500 so far. Despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year, there is currently no conclusive evidence that warrants the purchase or sale of this stock.
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed compared to the Metals & Mining industry average, but is greater than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 14.5% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $46.30 million to $53.00 million.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, RANDGOLD RESOURCES LTD has outperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: GOLD Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV