The U.S. International Trade Commission has voted to institute anti-dumping taxes against steel pipe imports from seven countries. U.S. steel companies filed a complaint in 2013 after a spike in imports on steel pipes used in the oil and gas industry, as foreign companies tried to get a piece of successful U.S. shale gas drilling.
Friday's decision was a win for the U.S. steel companies that said the cheap imports had undercut their prices.
The USITC imposed the duties on India, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, Turkey, Ukraine and Vietnam, while the Philippines and Thailand are exempt.
AK Steel stock was up 3.7% to $10.38 at 11:50 a.m.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates AK STEEL HOLDING CORP as a "sell" with a ratings score of D+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate AK STEEL HOLDING CORP (AKS) a SELL. This is driven by multiple weaknesses, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its weak operating cash flow and poor profit margins."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$206.10 million or 111.38% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- The gross profit margin for AK STEEL HOLDING CORP is currently extremely low, coming in at 9.07%. Regardless of AKS's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, AKS's net profit margin of -1.11% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed compared to the Metals & Mining industry average, but is greater than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 57.7% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$40.40 million to -$17.10 million.
- This stock has increased by 167.12% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the future course of this stock, we feel that the risks involved in investing in AKS do not compensate for any future upside potential, despite the fact that it has seen nice gains over the past 12 months.
- AK STEEL HOLDING CORP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, AK STEEL HOLDING CORP continued to lose money by earning -$0.34 versus -$9.10 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.05 versus -$0.34).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: AKS Ratings Report
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he and Stephanie Link think could be potentially HUGE winners. Click here to see the holdings for FREE.