NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Cabot Oil & Gas Corp. (COG - Get Report) are lower by -1.49% to $33 in pre-market trading on Friday, following a ratings downgrade to "hold" from "buy" at Deutsche Bank (DB - Get Report) .
The firm said it reduced its rating on the independent oil and gas company based on its belief the company lacks near-term catalysts.
Deutsche Bank cut its price target on Cabot stock to $38 from $40.
Stocks TO Buy: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn More.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates CABOT OIL & GAS CORP as a Buy with a ratings score of A-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate CABOT OIL & GAS CORP (COG) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income, good cash flow from operations and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 2.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 18.6%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- CABOT OIL & GAS CORP has improved earnings per share by 33.3% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, CABOT OIL & GAS CORP increased its bottom line by earning $0.67 versus $0.31 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.15 versus $0.67).
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly outperformed against the S&P 500 and exceeded that of the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry average. The net income increased by 32.9% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $89.11 million to $118.42 million.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $329.57 million or 18.85% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of -6.58%.
- The gross profit margin for CABOT OIL & GAS CORP is currently very high, coming in at 73.85%. Regardless of COG's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, COG's net profit margin of 22.20% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: COG Ratings Report
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he and Stephanie Link think could be potentially HUGE winners. Click here to see the holdings for FREE