NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The bubble in Comex gold began from its 200-week simple moving average at $651.3 in October 2008. The bubble inflated to as high as $1923.7 the Troy ounce in September 2011. Breaking below the 200-week SMA at $1435.3 between mid-April 2013 and mid-May 2013 was the final signal that the gold bubble had popped.
Here's the weekly chart for Comex gold futures.
Courtesy of MetaStock XenithRead More: 10 Stocks Carl Icahn Loves in 2014 The weekly chart for gold is negative, with its five-week modified moving average at $1300.9 and its 200-week SMA peaking at $1498.9. Courtesy of MetaStock Xenith The post-bubble low for gold has been $1179.4, set in June 2013. The low on the daily graph above is $1181.4, set on December 31, 2013. Gold moved above its 200-day SMA at $1309.5 on Feb. 14, and the 2014 high so far is $1392.6 on March 17. Gold has been trading back and forth around its 200-day SMA now at $1285.4 since Feb. 14. A quarterly value level is $1234.6, with a monthly pivot at $1304.3 and semiannual risky level at $1613.0. Let's measure the performance of six gold mining stocks vs. the performance of gold. Two "crunching the numbers" tables follow. Read More: Tesla's Model X: Everything We Know Barrick Gold (ABX) ($18.45) is up 4.7% year to date and led the early-2014 gold rally. The stock traded as low as $15.26 on Dec. 4, crossed above its 200-day SMA at $18.30 on Jan. 17 and traded as high as $21.45 on Feb. 25 before the 2014 peak in gold. Barrick traded as low as $15.47 on May 28 before the low in gold. The stock is above its 200-day at $18.12 with gold below. The weekly chart is neutral, with Barrick just below its five-week MMA at $18.46. In common with gold, the stock is well below its 200-week SMA at $34.38. A semiannual value level is $17.82 with a monthly risky level at $19.32. Up next: Anglogold and Yamana Gold.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV