6 things to know about the iPhone 6 launch (and Apple stock)
Apple ( AAPL) shares are hitting a new all-time high as gadget groupies and investors alike eagerly anticipate the the iPhone 6.
The company is expected to officially unveil its latest handset on September 9. It will be available for sale on September 19.
Since the iPhone product line is responsible for 55% of Apple's revenue and 70% of its profit, the importance of the iPhone 6 can't be overestimated. Here are six things you should know about Apple and the iPhone 6:
1 ) The iPhone 6 screen will be bigger… but will it be big enough?The iPhone 6 will reportedly have a 4.7" (diagonal) screen. This is a jump up from the 4" screen of the iPhone 5. But it is still smaller than the 5.1" screen of the iPhone 5's primary competitor, the Samsung Galaxy S5. Apple is also reportedly working on a 5.5" iPhone 6, but recent reports have suggested that its release may be delayed until 2015 because of production issues.
2) It will have a sapphire-based screen.The iPhone 6 is expected to have a synthetic sapphire-based screen. The good news is, sapphire is excellent at crack and scratch resistance. It also enables screens that have thinner bezels, making the useful area of the screen larger for a given size. The bad news is, sapphire is denser than the Gorilla Glass currently used on iPhones, making the device heavier.
3) The iPhone 6 will likely run Apple's newest operating system, iOS 8.New operating systems always bring new features and functionality. In this case, Apple's forthcoming iWatch product is also expected to run iOS 8 (or a pared-down version) and this is expected to enable tight integration of the iWatch's expected biometric features with a companion iPhone 6 handset.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV