3 Stocks Pushing The Retail Industry Lower
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 54.53 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company. Along with the unfavorable debt-to-equity ratio, FWM maintains a poor quick ratio of 0.96, which illustrates the inability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Food & Staples Retailing industry and the overall market, FAIRWAY GROUP HOLDINGS's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for FAIRWAY GROUP HOLDINGS is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 30.97%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -4.88% trails that of the industry average.
- FWM's stock share price has done very poorly compared to where it was a year ago: Despite any rallies, the net result is that it is down by 79.77%, which is also worse that the performance of the S&P 500 Index. Investors have so far failed to pay much attention to the earnings improvements the company has managed to achieve over the last quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- FAIRWAY GROUP HOLDINGS reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, FAIRWAY GROUP HOLDINGS reported poor results of -$1.93 versus -$1.43 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$0.56 versus -$1.93).
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.