NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- TheStreet's Jim Cramer says Dollar General (DG) can pay up to $90 a share for Family Dollar (FDO) and still make money on the acquisition, but Family Dollar is now talking about antitrust concerns, which is a red flag for Cramer.
When he hears "antitrust" and knows that the lower class goes to dollar stores, then he thinks Family Dollar is onto something and that Dollar General would be blocked from acquiring the company. Cramer says Dollar General could keep Family Dollar in limbo for a long time or could simply destroy it if it wanted to do so. Dollar Tree (DLTR) , though, is ready to go.
Cramer said he initially dismissed the antitrust concerns, but now he thinks they are real and urges caution for investors. In fact, he advises selling Family Dollar stock.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he and Stephanie Link think could be potentially HUGE winners. Click here to see the holdings for FREE.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV