NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Each month I provide updated "crunching the numbers" tables for the 19 components of the PHLX Housing Sector Index after the release of the National Association of Home Builders Housing Market Index and the release of housing starts. The housing sector index is down just 0.9% year to date.
The 11 homebuilders in the housing index declined after weaker than expected housing data in June trading and the housing index set its 2014 low on July 31. Better than expected data reported this week helped homebuilder shares recover.
Read More: 10 Stocks George Soros Is BuyingBetter performances come from three companies that provide products and services to the housing market. Home improvement and building products company Masco (MAS) is up 13% since July 24. The provider of private mortgage insurance Radian Group (RDN) is up 7.7%. Timber and forest products company Weyerhaeuser (WY) has a gain of 6.4%. Here are the bullish data releases for housing: On Monday, the National Association of Home Builders Housing Market Index rose two points to 55 in August. On Tuesday, the U.S. Deportment of Housing and Urban Development and the U.S. Census Bureau reported housing starts rose 16% in July to a seasonally-adjusted 1.093 million units. The important component for homebuilders is single-family housing starts, which popped 8.3% in July to 656,000 units. The above graph presents the NAHB Housing Market Index and single-family home starts. Even after this good data I still view the market for new homes stalled at 60% of potential. Read More: Warren Buffett's Portfolio Proves He's a Dividend Growth Investor At 55, the HMI is above the neutral 50 but below 60 on a scale of 00 to 100.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV