Are We Guessing About Up to $1.4T in 401(k) Investment?
NEW YORK (TheStreet) — There's no doubting the pervasiveness and popularity of the 401(k) plan — it really is the go-to retirement investment vehicle for tens of millions of Americans.
A survey of 1,000 plan holders by Schwab Retirement Plan Service reinforces their popularity but strikes an alarming note on how Americans fall short in many areas related to 401(k) investing.
There's one finding in the survey, though, that really stands out — mainly because these are still the days of controversy and confusion over the implementation of the Affordable Care Act.
Read More: 5 Land Mines to Avoid in Funding Your 401(k)According to the Investment Company Institute, the total value of all 401(k) plan participant accounts amounts to $2.8 trillion, for more than 50 million U.S. plan holders. That's also roughly the total of U.S. health care spending — and that's 17% of the country's economy. According to the survey, "half of those surveyed (50%) say their 401(k) plan investment information is more confusing than their health care benefits information." Confused investors can make poor choices, but that's not stopping Americans from making some risky choices in a financial market they really don't understand.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV