NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of JetBlue Airways Corp. (JBLU) closed up 3.24% to $12.73 on very heavy trading volume after Cowen & Co. (COWN) earlier today applauded an expected change in the air carrier's strategy, in which it will start favoring shareholders over customers, according to MarketWatch.
Analyst Helane Becker raised her investment rating on the airline's stock to "outperform" from "market perform", and raised her price target to $15 -- about 18% above current prices -- from $10.
She believes JetBlue could make a management change at the top that leads to a shift in its philosophy, in which a customer's comfort may be sacrificed to cut costs and improve the bottom line.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 518.18% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 85.53% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Turning to the future, naturally, any stock can fall in a major bear market. However, in almost any other environment, the stock should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed nice gains in the past year.
- JETBLUE AIRWAYS CORP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, JETBLUE AIRWAYS CORP increased its bottom line by earning $0.51 versus $0.39 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.69 versus $0.51).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Airlines industry. The net income increased by 538.9% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $36.00 million to $230.00 million.
- The revenue growth significantly trails the industry average of 50.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 11.8%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: JBLU Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV