NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Verizon Communications Inc. (VZ - Get Report) is planning to launch a mobile software store that could present a third alternative in a market long-dominated by Apple (AAPL - Get Report) and Google (GOOG) L, according to The Information, an industry website, Reuters reports.
Verizon, the largest U.S. wireless operator, is leading discussions with other carriers and hardware manufacturers to launch an industry coalition to create the store, the website said.
Shares of Verizon are slightly higher in afternoon trading.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
- VZ's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 1.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 5.7%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Diversified Telecommunication Services industry and the overall market, VERIZON COMMUNICATIONS INC's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Diversified Telecommunication Services industry. The net income increased by 87.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $2,246.00 million to $4,214.00 million.
- The gross profit margin for VERIZON COMMUNICATIONS INC is rather high; currently it is at 61.61%. Regardless of VZ's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, VZ's net profit margin of 13.38% compares favorably to the industry average.
- VERIZON COMMUNICATIONS INC has improved earnings per share by 29.5% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. However, we anticipate underperformance relative to this pattern in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, VERIZON COMMUNICATIONS INC increased its bottom line by earning $4.00 versus $0.31 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 11.3% in earnings ($3.55 versus $4.00).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: VZ Ratings Report