WHAT'S NEW: International Rectifier will be acquired by Infineon for $40 per share in cash, or $3B. Infineon said that the deal would create "a highly complementary and innovative semiconductor product portfolio, distribution strength and a stronger regional presence." It will also "complement Infineon’s expertise in power semiconductors and add system know-how in power conversion, while expanding its expertise in compound semiconductors and driving greater economies of scale in production," the German company stated.
WHAT'S NOTABLE: Before Infineon and International Rectifier announced the deal, Bloomberg reported that Infineon was nearing a deal to acquire a semiconductor company for $2B, but did not name the takeover target. The news service identified Power Integrations (POWI), Fairchild Semiconductor (FCS) and Semtech (SMTC) as takeover targets in the semiconductor space that have market capitalizations under $2B. The shares of all three companies, along with those of semiconductor company Spansion (CODE), rose following Bloomberg's report. Those four stocks gave back some of their gains after International Rectifier's shares were halted for news shortly before 12 PM ET.
PRICE ACTION: In early afternoon trading, International Rectifier jumped 47% to $39, while Infineon gave back 3% to $11.20. Power Integrations climbed 4% to $60, Fairchild Semiconductor advanced 6% to $17, Semtech climbed 4% to $24, and Spansion gained 3% to $19.80.Reporting done by Larry Ramer.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV