NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Amazon.com Inc. (AMZN - Get Report) will establish a presence in China's Shanghai free trade zone, according to state news agency Xinhua, as it looks to take advantage of less stringent trade regulations to sell a wider range of products in the country, Reuters reports.
The move signals its intent not only to remain in China but to increase its presence in an e-commerce market dominated by Alibaba Group Holding and Beijing-based JD.com (JD) , Reuters said.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
Amazon signed a memorandum of cooperation "to develop cross-border e-commerce in the Shanghai free trade zone", Xinhua said, adding that the company will use the zone to expand its import business through the introduction of "Amazon's full global product line into the Chinese market."Shares of Amazon.com are up 0.42% to $336.55. TheStreet Ratings team rates AMAZON.COM INC as a Hold with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate AMAZON.COM INC (AMZN) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including unimpressive growth in net income, weak operating cash flow and feeble growth in the company's earnings per share." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 7.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 23.1%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Although AMZN's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.29 is very low, it is currently higher than that of the industry average.
- 36.46% is the gross profit margin for AMAZON.COM INC which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -0.65% trails the industry average.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Internet & Catalog Retail industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 1700.0% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$7.00 million to -$126.00 million.
- Net operating cash flow has declined marginally to $862.00 million or 2.04% when compared to the same quarter last year. In conjunction, when comparing current results to the industry average, AMAZON.COM INC has marginally lower results.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: AMZN Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts