CHICAGO ( TheStreet) -- United (UAL - Get Report) may recently have fallen behind rivals Delta (DAL) and American (AAL) in net income, but it is moving ahead in an area far more important to its premium passengers -- the availability of free meals in first class on domestic flights.
Currently, all three U.S. global airlines offer free first-class meals on flights of 900 miles or more, with free meals offered on shorter flights in a few select markets, generally business markets.
Read More: JetBlue Analysts Say "Bring Us the Head of Dave Barger"
However, United said Thursday that it will introduce premium cabin meals to shorter flights beginning in 2015, when it will launch redesigned menu concepts and expanded premium cabin meals on flights that are more than 800 miles, or two hours and 20 minutes.
"These changes mark the beginning of an extensive overhaul of our North America and international food service, offering travelers a level of service above that offered by our peers," said Lynda Coffman, United's vice president of food services, in a prepared statement.
Read More: Note to JetBlue: Please Don't Change, Just Drop Money-Losing Flights
Read More: Americans Still Hate Bag Fees and Most Lack a Preferred Airline: Poll Beginning in 2015, United will offer fresh meal options for premium-cabin customers flying on United Express. Generally, coach passengers on domestic U.S. flights can buy snacks on board, although Delta and JetBlue (JBLU) offer free snack selections in coach. Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C.
To contact this writer, click here.
TheStreet Ratings team rates UNITED CONTINENTAL HLDGS INC as a Hold with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate UNITED CONTINENTAL HLDGS INC (UAL) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed ? some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its impressive record of earnings per share growth, revenue growth and notable return on equity. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including generally higher debt management risk and poor profit margins."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- UNITED CONTINENTAL HLDGS INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, UNITED CONTINENTAL HLDGS INC turned its bottom line around by earning $1.30 versus -$2.32 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($4.51 versus $1.30).
- The revenue growth significantly trails the industry average of 50.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 3.3%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Airlines industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, UNITED CONTINENTAL HLDGS INC has underperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has exceeded that of the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for UNITED CONTINENTAL HLDGS INC is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 27.53%. Regardless of UAL's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 7.63% trails the industry average.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 3.68 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company. To add to this, UAL has a quick ratio of 0.56, this demonstrates the lack of ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: UAL Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts