In fact, JetBlue shares have traded higher in recent months based on the premise that Barger will soon depart, enabling the carrier to adopt more profit-oriented, consumer-unfriendly measures such as offering less legroom and charging for a first bag.
Shortly after the opening bell on Wednesday, JetBlue shares traded up 17 cents at $12.50. Shares are up 44% year-to-date.
Barger is seen as a symbol of an airline that has tried to be different, offering premium service at coach prices, and that consequently has come up short in the profit department. He has been with JetBlue since 1998, two years before the first flight, and became CEO in 2007.
Read More: Virgin America's Final Push into Airline Club Brings Raid on Southwest's Home
On JetBlue's second-quarter earnings call last month, amid growing speculation about his future, Barger declared: "It's no secret that I have a contract through the February 2015 time frame." On Wednesday morning, a JetBlue spokesman said the carrier had no additional comment.
The widespread assumption is that JetBlue President Robin Hayes will replace Barger in February, but Wall Street's preference appears to be for Barger to depart more quickly.
Read More: American Airlines and Envoy Pilots Try Again on Pilot Talks
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV