NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Glencore International (GLNCY) , the commodity trader and miner, said it will launch a share buy back program of up to $1 billion over the next six months, making it the first among the diversified miners to return extra cash to shareholders this year, Reuters reports.
The announcement accompanied a forecast-beating 8% increase in first half core profit. Glencore said earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortization totaled $6.5 billion, helped by a strong performance of its trading arm.
That beat a company-provided analysts' consensus of $6.3 billion.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV