More than 11,600 October 22 calls were bought for 15 cents to 35 cents in less than 20 minutes Wednesday afternoon, according to OptionMonster's tracking systems. Open interest in the strike was just 695 contracts before the session began, showing that this was fresh buying.
These long calls lock in the price where the stock can be purchased through mid-October no matter how far it might climb. They could be sold earlier at a profit if premiums rise with a rally before then, providing potentially significant leverage, but the contracts will expire worthless if shares remain below $22.
Teradyne gained 1.99% on Wednesday to close at $19.95. The chip-testing equipment company was just shy of $20 heading into its earnings report a month ago but fell sharply after issuing those results. The stock found support at the $18 level and has been working its way higher since, though it has not traded above $22 since 2004.Wednesday's total option volume in Teradyne was 35 times its daily average for the last month. Overall calls outnumbered puts by 22 to 1, a reflection of the session's bullish sentiment. Yamamoto has no positions in TER.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV