NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Achillion Pharmaceuticals ACHN rose in after-hours trading Tuesday after the company received a patent for its hepatitis C drug ACH-3102.
The U.S. Patent & Trademark Office granted U.S. Patent No. 8,809,313 to the company. The patent encompasses composition-of-matter and method of use claims for ACH-3102 and related NS5A inhibitor compounds, according to the company's statement. The patent term lasts until 2032.
ACH-3102 is Achillion's second-generation Phase 2 NS5A inhibitor and is being investigated as a treatment for chronic hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite StocksSTOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. "We believe that this key patent grant will provide another important anchor for Achillion's intellectual property portfolio," said Achillion president and CEO Milind Deshpande. "With the issuance of this patent for our differentiated NS5A inhibitor, ACH-3102, along with the previously granted patent for sovaprevir, our NS3/4A protease inhibitor, we are pleased to recognize the talented Achillion team that discovered and has advanced these compounds into Phase 2 trials evaluating their use in all-oral combination regimens for the treatment of chronic HCV." The stock was up 1.22% to $9.99 at 4:44 p.m. ACHN data by YCharts
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he and Stephanie Link think could be potentially HUGE winners. Click here to see the holdings for FREE.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV