NEW YORK (The Deal) -- Dollar General's (DG) $9.7 billion cash offer to acquire Family Dollar Stores (FDO) out from under Dollar Tree (DLTR) may not go far enough to accomplish the task, particularly regarding antitrust risk.
Dollar General Monday made a spoiler bid for Family Dollar worth $78.50 per share. The offer comes three weeks after Family Dollar agreed to a cash and stock merger with Dollar Tree that values the small-box discount retailer at $59.60 in cash and $14.90 in Dollar Tree shares, or $74.50. Shares of Family Dollar traded about $1.335, or 1.7%, over the spoiler bid, suggesting the market is looking for a higher offer.
Dollar General shares also traded up about $7, or 12%, on the announcement, which should encourage the company to pursue the spoiler offer.
One oddity in the bidding is that Dollar General said in its offer letter to Family Dollar and on the conference call announcing the offer that the bidder was surprised by the deal between Family Dollar and Dollar Tree. The proxy for the Dollar Tree merger discusses a background of merger discussions over many months that included talks with Dollar General. It was impossible for Dollar General to not know that Family Dollar was exploring a sale, particularly because activists Carl Icahn and John Paulson were shareholders and Nelson Peltz's Trian Fund Management is represented on the board.Dollar General Chairman and CEO Rick Dreiling apparently did want to retire, as he announced in late June, and Dollar General executives did not think that Dollar Tree had the capacity to do its deal or would not risk a non-investment grade rating, according to a person close to the deal. There are no social issues in the Dollar Tree tie-up and Dollar General was not "locked out" of bidding in any way, the source said. The retention of store banners and other matters are irrelevant, he said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV