A look at gas pump demand so far this summer reveals that Americans have been taking advantage of the long holiday weekends and hitting the road. A recent MasterCard (NYSE:MA) SpendingPulse TM report also indicates that many are likely to close the summer season with one last trip over the Labor Day weekend. And that’s a good thing. Recent research reveals that only about 51% of Americans who get vacation days actually use them which affects the productivity of the employee.
The latest SpendingPulse data reveals that so far this summer, Americans increased their gas consumption by 1.6% over 2013. Additionally, “ a look at sales from Memorial Day week and July 4 th week shows the amount of gas being pumped is steadily increasing, with 4.4% and 3.7% year-over-year changes, respectively,” according to Sarah Quinlan, Senior Vice President of Market Insights for MasterCard Advisors.
Many of the road trippers are families who use the time to bond with their children before the start of school year. Car shopping site, Edmunds.com, recently surveyed 1,000 Americans and found 40% of respondents will definitely plan to take a road trip by Labor Day while another 34% are considering it.
Where are they going? According to the more than 3 million trips planned on Roadtrippers.com, the nation’s top road trip destinations for the 2014 summer travel season are the cities of San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Las Vegas.Yet for many, the stress of planning a family vacation can be a deterrent to taking time off work. We know that some families prefer not to travel rather than going through the often painful and time consuming planning of a family trip. “As someone who spends 80% of my time on the road, I know firsthand how important it is to be smart about your travel plans,” said Carlos Menendez, Group Executive of Global Consumer Products, MasterCard. “Taking time off helps us to recharge; improves our productivity and health; supports better relationships; and even helps our brain function. This is why it is so key to find a trusted travel resource to coordinate from the dreaming of the vacation to the return home with great memories.” Here are some useful tips to enjoy that much needed family getaway with peace of mind:
- Save money with fuel rewards
- Enjoy the deserved rest from the home routine with the help of hotel upgrades and tailored family services
- Take advantage of MasterCard concierge services for help from finding the right deals to booking a table at a child-friendly restaurant
- Pack your MasterCard for the ride knowing your funds are safe and secure with the benefits of emergency card replacement to Zero Liability fraud protection
- Pack your smartphone preloaded with MasterCard Nearby mobile app to help when you're looking for a place to use your contactless device, or to reload your prepaid card, get cash back with your purchase, or just to locate the nearest ATM
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV