NEW YORK (
(HD) second-quarter earnings report was solid as the home-improvement retailer benefited from resurgent demand and price appreciation in the existing home market. But another factor also propelled the company's results -- buying from mobile devices.
The world's largest home improvement retailer, which my firm Belus Capital Advisors rates a buy, reported second-quarter earnings of $1.52 a share, higher than the Wall Street consensus forecast of $1.45. It represented the fourth time in the last five quarters in which Home Depot beat consensus earnings estimates. Net sales tallied $23.8 billion vs. the $23.61 billion expected by analysts. U.S. same-store sales rose 6.4%, supported by increases in all merchandise categories and geographic regions.
TheStreet's Jim Cramer says it's all about execution at Home Depot:
The company offers roughly 700,000 items online compared to 35,000 to 40,000 in its physical stores.
In the second quarter, Home Depot's online sales increased 38%, and were "well ahead of expectations," CEO Frank Blake said on the earnings all. The company completed the rollout of its "buy online, pickup in store" capability in the quarter.
In the first quarter, Home Depot's online sales increased a heady 40% year over year, following 50% growth rates in both the third and fourth quarters of 2013. The apparent financial benefit of people buying home improvement goods through an online channel may be poised to be even greater for Home Depot going into the second half of the year.
"Later this year we'll offer a much-much more improved capability to have buy online and deliver from the store, won't be same day, but it'll be pretty accurate and within a couple hour window next day or scheduled delivery to your home,' Hofmann said at the conference in June. Read More: Walmart's Financial Problems Explained in 5 Photos and One Vine Video
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV