BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Stocks made big gains yesterday, the big NASDAQ Composite in particular making new multiyear highs as buyers charged into equities to start the week. But one corner of the market has quietly been outperforming the rest -- and no, it's not technology.
I'm talking about the "commodity stocks," basic materials sector names with outsized exposure to the commodity markets. Typically, commodity-centric names tend to have low correlations with the rest of the broad market, but not in 2014. Instead, materials names are just magnifying the S&P 500's gains this year.
So far, the S&P has managed to climb 7.19% higher since the start of the calendar year -- but the basic materials sector has basically done double, climbing 14.34% over that same stretch. Even better, there are still some big trading opportunities in materials right now.
To sniff out the best setups, we're turning to the charts for a technical look at five big commodity-driven names to trade this week...
Read More: Warren Buffett's Top 10 Dividend Stocks
Read More: 5 Stocks Triggering Big Breakout Trades
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV