NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of International Business Machines Corp. (IBM - Get Report) are up 1.24% to $189.71 following the company's announcement late Friday that it received notice from the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) of the successful conclusion of the committee's review of the divestiture of its x86-based server business to Lenovo Group (LNVGY) .
The approval of the $2.3 billion sale to Lenovo enables IBM to focus on system and software innovations in areas such as cognitive computing, Big Data and cloud, and provides clarity and confidence to current x86 customers that they will have a strong partner going forward, IBM said.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
- INTL BUSINESS MACHINES CORP has improved earnings per share by 41.6% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, INTL BUSINESS MACHINES CORP increased its bottom line by earning $15.02 versus $14.41 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($17.90 versus $15.02).
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly outperformed against the S&P 500 and exceeded that of the IT Services industry average. The net income increased by 28.2% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $3,226.00 million to $4,137.00 million.
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. Compared to other companies in the IT Services industry and the overall market, INTL BUSINESS MACHINES CORP's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $3,579.00 million or 12.75% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of -2.76%.
- The gross profit margin for INTL BUSINESS MACHINES CORP is rather high; currently it is at 54.45%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 16.97% trails the industry average.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: IBM Ratings Report