NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of TASER (TASR)TASR are continuing their recent advance today, amid speculation that the events in Ferguson, Missouri could increase demand for the company's cameras. But research firm CRT Capital warned that TASER's stock is likely to retreat to its previous levels.
WHAT'S NEW: After an unarmed teenager was killed in the town of Ferguson, Missouri last week, activists called on police to begin wearing cameras, Bloomberg reported Friday night. TASER sells cameras that can be worn by police officers. Meanwhile, The Wall Street Journal reported this morning that more police departments have begun to deploy such cameras, as studies have shown that they could reduce the use of force by police officers and cut the number of complaints made by citizens.
ANALYST REACTION: But research firm CRT Capital wrote that the events in Ferguson are unlikely to boost TASER's financial results. Although TASER is the only company that markets video systems for police departments, it has historically hyped similar opportunities and then under delivered, according to the firm. After the focus on Ferguson recedes, the stock is likely to return to the levels at which it was trading last week, the firm stated. It kept a $12 price target and Fair Value rating on the shares.
PRICE ACTION: In late morning trading, TASER jumped 9% to $15. On August 12, the stock closed at $12.02.Reporting by Larry Ramer.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV