NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Big Lots Inc. (BIG - Get Report) are higher by 1.29% to $46.98 in mid-morning trading on Monday, as the closeout retailer gets a boost from Dollar General (DG - Get Report) upping its offer to buy Family Dollar (FDO - Get Report) to $8.9 billion.
(FRED - Get Report) , another discount retailer also saw a rise in shares by 2.11% to $15.99 as a result of Dollar General's bid, as did Tuesday Morning Corp.
(TUES - Get Report) , higher by 1.60% to $17.17.
Must Read: 3D Printing Companies for Your Stock Portfolio
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he and Stephanie Link think could be potentially HUGE winners. Click here to see the holdings for FREE
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates BIG LOTS INC as a Hold with a ratings score of C+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:"We rate BIG LOTS INC (BIG) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, good cash flow from operations and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and feeble growth in the company's earnings per share." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- BIG's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 5.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 1.1%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 69.75% to $102.17 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, BIG LOTS INC has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -71.84%.
- BIG's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.06 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Even though the company has a strong debt-to-equity ratio, the quick ratio of 0.11 is very weak and demonstrates a lack of ability to pay short-term obligations.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Multiline Retail industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 89.6% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $32.33 million to $3.35 million.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. When compared to other companies in the Multiline Retail industry and the overall market, BIG LOTS INC's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: BIG Ratings Report