Scientific Games (SGMS) In A Perilous Reversal
- SGMS has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $21.4 million.
- SGMS has traded 64,870 shares today.
- SGMS is down 3.2% today.
- SGMS was up 8% yesterday.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in SGMS with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for SGMS NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on SGMS: Scientific Games Corporation provides technology-based products and services, and associated content for gaming and lottery markets worldwide. The company operates in three segments: Instant Products, Lottery Systems, and Gaming. Currently there are 4 analysts that rate Scientific Games a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 1 rates it a hold. The average volume for Scientific Games has been 1.4 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Scientific Games has a market cap of $717.0 million and is part of the services sector and leisure industry. The stock has a beta of 1.96 and a short float of 10.3% with 2.51 days to cover. Shares are down 46% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Scientific Games as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity, weak operating cash flow, generally high debt management risk and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Hotels, Restaurants & Leisure industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 458.0% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$12.98 million to -$72.40 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Hotels, Restaurants & Leisure industry and the overall market, SCIENTIFIC GAMES CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $23.80 million or 49.14% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- Although SGMS's debt-to-equity ratio of 14.27 is very high, it is currently less than that of the industry average. Even though the debt-to-equity ratio is weak, SGMS's quick ratio is somewhat strong at 1.41, demonstrating the ability to handle short-term liquidity needs.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 43.76%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 514.28% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- You can view the full Scientific Games Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.