ABBOTT PARK, Ill., Aug. 18, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Abbott (NYSE: ABT) and the United States Department of Defense today announced a collaboration with the intent to develop portable blood tests to help evaluate potential concussions, also called mild traumatic brain injuries (TBIs). As part of a multi-phased approach, the tests would be developed for Abbott's i- STAT ® System, a handheld, diagnostic analyzer that is currently used for other point-of-care testing, including among military service members. Concussions are a significant health concern for military service members.  With the development of new tests, physicians could use the information to positively impact the care of people with a suspected concussion.
To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please click http://www.multivu.com/players/English/7293951-abbott-u-s-department-of-defense-develop-portable-blood-tests-concussions/
"The quick and accurate diagnosis of a concussion is critical so that soldiers who are affected--whether on the battlefield or not--can be removed from duty to recover and to prevent further injury," said Colonel Dallas C. Hack, M.D., Brain Health Coordinator, United States Army Medical Research and Materiel Command. "The Department of Defense collaboration with Abbott represents a major initiative to help improve efforts to understand this complex injury and care for wounded warriors suffering from this condition."
Research suggests that certain proteins are released in the bloodstream following a brain injury, such as a concussion. Data have shown that detecting a mild traumatic brain injury can be difficult since imaging technology may not show abnormalities and symptoms can be similar to or mistaken for other medical conditions. , 
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV