Attorney Steve W. Berman, managing partner and co-founder of Seattle-based Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro LLP, has been named co-lead counsel in the high-profile, class-action lawsuit against General Motors Co. (NYSE:GM). The case covers claims resulting from personal injuries and diminished vehicle value related to GM’s recall of millions of vehicles over faulty ignition switches and other possible defects. Berman has been serving as temporary lead counsel in the GM litigation.
“I am appreciative that the court has the confidence to appoint me as one of the co-leads, in the face of heavy competition from other talented lawyers who wanted to run the case,” Berman said. “It’s an awesome responsibility, and I pledge to do a good job for the consumers who have these defective cars.”
Since February 2014, GM has recalled 2.6 million vehicles over problems with the ignition switch, and has since recalled millions more with other possible defects. According to published reports and government documents, GM had knowledge of the serious defect as early as 2001, but critics charge that the company ignored warnings of the defect’s severity and did not warn consumers.
Berman served as co-lead counsel in negotiating a $1.6 billion settlement for consumers from Toyota Motor Corp. in 2013, following claims of sudden, unexplained acceleration in many of its vehicles. “The Toyota litigation would be a valuable road map for plaintiffs suing GM,” said Berman. “I spent two-and-a-half years of my life dealing with the issues (in Toyota) that we’ll deal with here.”Berman was chosen from a field of dozens of lawyers. Forty presented in-person during four-minute pitches to U.S. District Judge Jesse Furman, who is overseeing the case, during a hearing Aug. 11 in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York. In addition, other attorneys had submitted written applications.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV